layout

Saturday, May 26, 2012

When Harry Met Sally: Iconic in Every Way


I was bored yesterday after work, but didn't feel like finding a movie on Netflixs that was going to disappoint me, so I popped in the old stand by. Harry Met Sally is the ultimate rom-com, and one of my favorite movies to watch over and over again. There is just something about Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan and the magic of watching the greatest character development of all time.  Any critic will tell you that this film is iconic, but here is why I love it and think you all should give it a chance. 

The plot if somewhat complex, but works. Spanning Harry and Sally’s meetings by five years makes time progress naturally, and also lending to the building of their relationship. Harry and Sally did not see each other and fall head over heels, which, in my opinion is fantastic. Actually, at first they hate each other. But their paths continue to cross and they realize that they balance each other the way that two lovers should.

Though I am the first to admit that Billy Crystal as a player is a bit of a stretch, he steals my heart every time and I find myself falling for it even though I have never known any players that wear cable-knit sweaters. Meg Ryan is brilliant. She plays OCD so well. I love the way they made her ordering so specific and over the top. I think we all know people like this, who just want what they want the way they want it and really, there is nothing wrong with that. Both characters start off a bit annoying and grow into themselves. The writer did a fantastic job of keeping their ideals the same, but letting them mature and have multiple sides.

The big debate for this film is whether or not men and women can be friends. Age old question that I think is the cornerstone to most relationships, and likewise, is the basis for this film. No matter what you believe, I can;t help but notice that the story really supports both sides. Sure Harry and Sally are friends for a long time, but it ends up becoming something more, so doesn't that actually support the idea that they can't be friends? Harry may have a point. They couldn't be friends, they were meant to be more. 

Following the idea of development, one of my favorite things that they did was showcase other couples at breaks in the story, who talk about how they met and how they fell in love. Each couple ends by saying how long they have been together which is normally 35, 45 or 50 years. Most movies today talk about beautiful people getting together and how hot and heavy it is, but we never see something that lasts. They get together for the last scene, but i think it is way more powerful to show the couples who, maybe aren't perfect, but exemplify the relationships we all want. Something real.

Noteworthy: Shout out to the writers who have perfected one liners. I use the saying "white-man's overbite" all the time.
Second shout out to the Sally's hair stylist. If I haven't won you over, you must see this movie for the great 80's hair and clothing. Brilliant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment