layout

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Roman Holiday: That's Amore




I decided to start this off with a classic. Oscar season is around the corner, and we will get to the nominees shortly, but I wanted my first post to be one of my favorites. A movie that reminds me why I love film, and the way films should strive to be. Not over done, but natural and, well, beautiful.

I could easily sit here and write about how wonderful Roman Holiday is, and demand that you all run out and buy a copy and watch it over and over again, but old movies aren’t everyone’s thing and I am not trying to preach. All I ask is that you give the oldies a chance. So, instead I looked at the little pieces that made this film so spectacular, and I think I have narrowed it down to two.

First, There is just something better about love in an Audrey Hepburn movie. It is addicting to watch. Unlike today I know that it is not leading to the bedroom but instead to something that seems deeply more personal and more believable. In a society where we are bombarded by sexuality there is something refreshing about seeing two people look deeply into each other’s eyes, and hug. The first kiss in Roman Holiday is quick, like many of Audrey’s other films. It is impulsive and sudden, something that just happens. It is amazing how much more natural it is, and reminds of the way things should be. No one grabs anybody’s ass or tries to move in closer asking for more. It is plain and simple, and perfect.

The other thing this movie does well above many others is speaking with little words. The facial expressions and the eyes of the actors are impeccable. They tell much more about the story, the changes of heart and the love, than any long drawn out speech could. That long walk out of the press room alone reminds me vaguely of the walk that Humphrey Bogart makes at the end of Casablanca. Sad and sweet, but perfection in its simplicity.


Noteworthy:
I’m kind of in love with Eddie Albert as Irving. He added some great slapstick humor, tripping and falling all over the place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment