layout

Monday, February 13, 2012

The Vow: I Don't Know


When I saw previews for this movie, I am ashamed to say that I was excited that another lovey-dovey sob story was coming out. In case you haven’t noticed, underneath all the cynicism, I am a self-proclaimed hopeless romantic. The Vow promised to make me feel the way that The Notebook did, or so I thought.

The surface level plot was alright, Leo (Channing Tatum) trying to win Paige (Rachel McAdams) back because she can’t remember him is incredibly reminiscent of the Notebook. The problem was the rest of it. The parents and ex-boyfriend who wanted to give her a do-over, and her decisions to just run away to the familiar instead of trying to remember. It created a story of frustration, one in which the good guy always seemed to get the short stick. The problem was that this rising action was never resolved. There was no climax, or resolution, they just gave up. This made my chick-flick loving girlfriends and I feel incredibly cheated. Why in the world did we go through all that pain, if they weren’t going to rediscovery their love in a passionate, over-the-top reunion scene?

The sadness itself was a waste. I find that most movies have moments with great writing where tears stream down my face, and this is a sort or release. It allows all the sadness and suffering I am watching an outlet because there is a moment when things are so sad, but also so sweet that I am broken down. The Vow did not deliver such a moment, and I was simply left feeling depressed. My friends and I walked away sad and dejected and wondering why the hell we paid good money to get bummed out.

Noteworthy:
The opening scene where they got in the car accident was interesting. When the car got hit, the scene suddenly transitioned into slow motion; so you actually saw Paige fly through the glass while Channing Tatum monologued about moments of impact. It was effective and my favorite part of the movie because it was a creative way to show "impact" that essentially created all of the problems. It was terrifying and surreal watching someone fly slow motion through a windshield, and because of the choice of music and lighting it really didn’t seem serious until everything returned to real time and she crashed onto the hood of the car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment